WASHINGTON — Justice Clarence Thomas says the Supreme Court has been changed by the shocking leak of a draft opinion earlier this month. The opinion suggests the court is poised to overturn the right to an abortion recognized nearly 50 years ago in Roe v. Wade.
The conservative Thomas, who joined the court in 1991 and has long called for Roe v. Wade to be overturned, described the leak as an unthinkable breach of trust.
“When you lose that trust, especially in the institution that I’m in, it changes the institution fundamentally. You begin to look over your shoulder. It’s like kind of an infidelity that you can explain it, but you can’t undo it,” he said while speaking at a conference Friday evening in Dallas.
The court has said the draft does not represent the final position of any of the court’s members, and Chief Justice John Roberts has ordered an investigation into the leak.
Thomas, a nominee of President George H.W. Bush, said it was beyond “anyone’s imagination” before the May 2 leak of the opinion to Politico that even a line of a draft opinion would be released in advance, much less an entire draft that runs nearly 100 pages. Politico has also reported that in addition to Thomas, conservative justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett had voted with the draft opinion’s author, Samuel Alito, to overrule Roe v. Wade and a 1992 decision, Planned Parenthood v. Casey, that affirmed Roe’s finding of a constitutional right to abortion.
Thomas said that previously, “if someone said that one line of one opinion” would be leaked, the response would have been: “Oh, that’s impossible. No one would ever do that.”
“Now that trust or that belief is gone forever,” Thomas said at the Old Parkland Conference, which describes itself as a conference “to discuss alternative proven approaches to tackling the challenges facing Black Americans today.”
Thomas also said at one point: “I do think that what happened at the court is tremendously bad…I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them.”
Thomas also touched in passing on the protests by liberals at conservative justices’ homes in Maryland and Virginia that followed the draft opinion’s release. Thomas argued that conservatives have never acted that way.
“You would never visit Supreme Court justices’ houses when things didn’t go our way. We didn’t throw temper tantrums. I think it is … incumbent on us to always act appropriately and not to repay tit for tat,” he said.
Protests at the Supreme Court and around the nation are also expected Saturday.
Thomas was speaking before an audience as part of a conversation with John Yoo, who is now a Berkeley Law professor but worked for Thomas for a year in the early 1990s as a law clerk.
Each justice generally has four law clerks every year and the current group of law clerks has been a focus of speculation as a possible source of the draft opinion’s leak. They are one of a few groups along with the justices and some administrative staff that has access to draft opinions.
Thomas also answered a few questions from the audience, including one from a man who asked about the friendships between liberal and conservative justices on the court, such as a well-known friendship between the late liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the late conservative Justice Antonin Scalia. “How can we foster that same type of relationship within Congress and within the general population?” the man asked.
“Well, I’m just worried about keeping it at the court now,” Thomas responded. He went on to speak in glowing terms about former colleagues. “This is not the court of that era,” he said.
Despite his comments, Thomas seemed in good spirits — laughing heartily at times. Yoo, who is known for writing the so-called “torture memos” that the George W. Bush administration used to justify using “enhanced interrogation” techniques after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, said at one point that he had taken pictures of notes Thomas had taken during the conference.
“You’re going to leak them?” Thomas asked, laughing.
Yoo responded: “Well, I know where to go…Politico will publish anything I give them now.”
For further reading visit Source
Holly Holm out to show there’s life in UFC after 40
Back at the beginning of her combat sports career, 20-year-old Holly Holm figured she wouldn’t want to still be fighting at 30.
“I pictured myself having kids doing the whole mom thing,” Holm told The Post over the phone on Wednesday. “Not that you can’t be a mom and fight. I just know, for me at the time, I thought, ‘Oh, maybe I want to be more involved as a mom, not be fighting anymore, going into training camps.’ ”
Holm (14-5, eight finishes) couldn’t have imagined at the time she’d be 40 years old, competing at the highest level — let alone in MMA rather than her first sports: boxing and kickboxing. And yet, here she is, set to headline Saturday’s UFC Fight Night (7 p.m. ET, ESPN+) against fellow bantamweight Ketlen Vieira.
Clearly, she adjusted expectations for her career as she went. Racking up welterweight boxing titles left and right by her mid 20s, “there was no way I was gonna retire when I was 30,” she recalls. Thirty came, and 35 became the new “for sure” end point in her mind. Once 35 came: “No way.”
“And I really thought 40 might be closer to the end, but it’s not,” Holm says. “I still feel great, and I feel my last fight is a fight [in which] I showed I’m still evolving. And it’s exciting to me, so I don’t want to stop now.”
True enough, Holm’s last appearance was an eye opener. Back in October 2020, the former champion who had knocked the 135-pound crown from Ronda Rousey’s head with a high kick knockout earned a dominant five-round decision against Irene Aldana.
But that was 19 months ago. Originally to return against Julianna Pena, Holm withdrew due to a cited diagnosis of hydronephrosis, a condition that causes swelling in the kidneys. A return at featherweight was planned against Norma Dumont for last October, but she once again was forced to pull out.
The second withdrawal was due to an issue with her knee, which she downplayed as nothing “extensive.”
“A lot of people wondered how bad is my knee and things like that,” Holm said. “But I don’t think people realize my biggest injury was when I was 16. And that’s what caused a lot of problems. I’ve been able to go my whole career and people not really know about it. But it kind of caught up a little bit, and so I needed to give it a little extra rest this time. And now, it’s ready to rock and roll.”
When she rocks and rolls this weekend at UFC Apex in Las Vegas, she’ll do so after taking the longest break from competition of her 20-year pro fighting career — boxing from 2000-13, MMA since 2011, with kickboxing sprinkled in.
It wasn’t ideal, being away from what she calls her “passion,” but Holm found several silver linings. She enjoyed the process of remodeling a recently-purchased home, something she believed would have been a challenge in the middle of a fight camp. After knee surgery, she spent two weeks enjoying rare quality time with her mother, watching movies and drinking coffee. A trip to Nashville and some dancing there was a highlight.
Most noteworthy for fight fans since Holm last competed was her announcement as an upcoming inductee into the International Boxing Hall of Fame, which she considers “one of the biggest compliments” for her work in the ring, an honor that understandably exceeds several others she’s received throughout her career.
“I’m always humbled and blessed with any of them, but there is something different about the Boxing Hall of Fame,” Holm said. “That’s not just statewide; that’s worldwide. It’s the best fighters in the world. It’s not just females; it’s all of them. To be able to have my name recognized among household names like Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather, it’s very surreal.”
Enshrinement comes next month, but Holm has more pressing business ahead of her as she faces Vieira (12-2, six finishes), who just earned a decision over Miesha Tate — the woman who took Holm’s title from her six years ago. The matchup carries title implications, with the winner seemingly the only viable challenger after champion Pena’s rematch against Amanda Nunes, the all-time great who lost to Pena in December and still reigns as the UFC featherweight titleholder.
Holm understands the stakes, and she sees Vieira as a real test for her in the cage.
“I think that she is, stylistically, one of the toughest bouts for me, outside of fighting for the championship,” Holm said. “There’s only a couple girls in front of me — you know who they are — and I feel like, outside of that, I think Ketlen is really the toughest opponent for me.
“I’m really excited, actually, for this challenge. I knew that her and I would eventually meet at some point to fight, so here we are.”
All this, two decades after she figured one probably would be too much. And Holm sees nothing slowing her down in the years to come. Few women have competed at the highest level of MMA into their 40s, although there’s precedent on the men’s side. Randy Couture was the UFC heavyweight champion at 45. Reigning light heavyweight champion Glover Teixeira will make his first title defense next month at age 42.
Can Holm, like them, compete several years into her 40s?
“I just might,” she said.
For further reading visit Source
Shocking images emerge of suspect in deadly bow-and-arrow rampage in Norway
Shocking footage has emerged of a mentally ill Danish man trying to impale people with a bow and arrow in a rampage that killed five people in Norway.
The footage emerged this week after Andersen Bråthen, 38, pleaded guilty Wednesday to a slew of charges in the terrifying October 2021 attack, including five counts of murder as well as 11 others of attempted murder.
“I admit criminal guilt for the entire charges,” Bråthen told Buskerud District Court at the start of his trial.
“Everything, I admit everything,” he emphasized, according to Agence France-Presse.
The footage shows him stalking through a Co-Op Extra supermarket in Kongsberg and repeatedly firing off arrows at innocent bystanders.
Wearing a white vest and without shoes, he spent at least 15 minutes shooting arrows at people in the supermarket as well as outside — even at people in their homes, the court heard. At least three people were struck by his arrows, including an off-duty police officer.
Bråthen then stabbed to death four women and one man, aged between 52 and 78.
He was arrested more than half an hour after he started the bloody rampage, and investigators seized a number of weapons, including knives, a sword, bows and at least 60 arrows, the court heard.
While Norwegian police had initially suspected it was a terror attack, they soon blamed mental illness, saying that he was in a “strongly deviating state of mind” at the time, charging documents show.
Three forensic psychiatric experts who assessed him concluded he was probably insane at the time of the killings. He has been kept at a psychiatric facility since October.
Both the prosecution and the defense argued that he could not be held criminally responsible and advocated a psychiatric commitment rather than a prison sentence.
A trial will decide if he gets prison time or compulsory mental health care. It is expected to last at least a month.
With Post wires
For further reading visit Source
Washington state gas stations run out of fuel, prep for $10 a gallon
Gas stations in Washington state are resetting their price boards to accommodate double digits in preparation for fuel prices potentially reaching $10 a gallon, according to a report.
The move comes as several gas stations in the Evergreen State ran out of fuel, The Post Millennial reported.
The 76 Gas Station in Auburn, which lies about 30 miles south of Seattle, gas pumps were reprogrammed so that the display could indicate a price of at least $10 a gallon.
The displays were limited to single digits as recently as March, but the surging price of gas has led to the change.
A 76 spokesperson told The Post Millennial that the change did not necessarily mean that the company was predicting gas prices would reach $10 a gallon.
The gas station in Auburn also sells race fuel, which is more expensive than the fuel that is used by ordinary citizens.
Race fuel costs more due to the high octane, premium fuel that is required to enable the engine to have a higher compression ratio, giving it a more energetic explosion and improving the performance of turbocharger and supercharger engines.
Washingtonians are also having to contend with gas stations that are running out of fuel.
Motorists who drive up to gas pumps in Kennewick, Pasco, and West Richland are met with notes indicating that the station did not have any fuel to sell — except for diesel.
On Facebook, local residents are reporting more than 10 gas stations that are out of fuel.
The average price of a gallon of gas in Washington State is $5.18 — well above the national average of $4.59 as of Thursday, according to AAA.
The most expensive gas in the nation could be found in California, where motorists in and around San Francisco pay more than $6 a gallon.
Limited supply exacerbated by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, coupled with what is expected to be sky-high demand as Americans take to the roads this summer for travel, will likely push gas prices even higher, analysts warn.
US crude was trading at $112.31 per barrel while Brent crude, the international standard, was trading at $112.89 per barrel, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
The only three states who were below $4 a gallon as of Monday — Georgia, Kansas, and Oklahoma — crossed the threshold on Tuesday, AAA reported.
The oil and gas industry has criticized the Biden administration for its policies which they say have kept supply limited.
Last week, the Biden administration announced that it was canceling three oil and gas lease sales scheduled in the Gulf of Mexico and off the coast of Alaska — removing millions of acres from possibly drilling.
The Interior Department announced the decision last Wednesday night, citing a lack of industry interest in drilling off the Alaska coast and “conflicting court rulings” that have complicated drilling efforts in the Gulf of Mexico, where the bulk of US offshore drilling takes place.
The decision likely means the Biden administration will not hold a lease sale for offshore drilling this year and comes as Interior appears set to let a mandatory five-year plan for offshore drilling expire next month.
“Unfortunately, this is becoming a pattern — the administration talks about the need for more supply and acts to restrict it,″ said Frank Macchiarola, senior vice president of the American Petroleum Institute, the top lobbying group for the oil and gas industry.
“As geopolitical volatility and global energy prices continue to rise, we again urge the administration to end the uncertainty and immediately act on a new five-year program for federal offshore leasing,″ he said.
With Post wires
For further reading visit Source
New York7 months ago
Kate Beckinsale subtly praises Pete Davidson amid Kim Kardashian dating rumors
New York2 years ago
Peter Cedeno, NYC Divorce Attorney, Accused of Sexual Abuse
New York8 months ago
NBC misidentified Kelly Stafford during Rams opener in viral video
New York5 months ago
Brittany Matthews reveals Patrick Mahomes wedding countdown is on
New York2 years ago
New York ahead of 41 other states when it comes to Coronavirus Testing
New York9 months ago
Selena Gomez’s ‘Only Murders in the Building’ Looks are my Fall Fashion Goals
Politics1 year ago
Joe Biden overturns ban on trans soldiers that was imposed by Trump
New York8 months ago
Charlie Sheen no longer has to pay Denise Richards child support